Monday 20 September 2010

Fair well Brother

So, started a new Job today working with my old boss. At around 5pm he ask's me "have you heard about Tim?". "No..." (My initial presumption was that something had happened in terms of a change of job etc). "He died about 3 weeks ago". Died! I still. Can't believe it.

Tim helped me a great deal during my first few months at Hammonds Direct, taught me a lot about .net and different ways of coding and basically took me under his wing. I always appreciated that, but what I appreciated more were his words of wisdom which I unfortunately at the time did not quite understand. Telling me things such as "you create your own reality" which I totally understand now. I wish I could tell him that his words, although at the time fell on deaf ears, mean so much more to me now. While I didn't see it at the time, I realised later how enlightened he actually was. Like most of us, he had his faults but like very few of us, he was always looking to make himself better and evolve as a human being. Not through fashion accessories or material objects (that in the great scheme of things do not matter) but through understanding the human condition and doing what he could to make things just a little better.

"Each day, the stories of life expand our intelligence. They stun us with originality and creativity. They call to us within our boundaries. They bridge each of our realities, one to another.

The dreams are free and so are we."

~Tim Smith, June 2010

I wish I could tell him the positive effect he had on my life and that it was an honour to call him my friend and while I'll miss him, I feel confident that he is in a far better place, free from ego and filled with love and positivity.

It's a shame that it takes the sudden passing of someone you respect to make you realise how each moment with anyone that you can call a friend is something precious. Every breath we take, every time we laugh, every connection we make is treated like water in a progressive country. We have it in abundance and need it often but due to its readiness we don't appreciate it as we should. If it was a rarity however, we would appreciate it a great deal more than we do.

I shall miss you brother and I thank you for the positivity you brought into my life.

No comments: