Monday 12 May 2008

Post 100!

Welcome to post 100...a small milestone and not too significant (if at all) in the great scheme of things, but a milestone non the less. Not updated for a while as I've been busy with either being ill or training.

Anyways, the 2nd sparring session was way better than the 1st. After that first instance and realising that I was being way too defensive I was determined to be a great deal more offensive that time round. Also spent a good few hours putting my UFC video subscription to good use watching all the best stand up guys and studying how they do their thing. Lyoto Machida, Anderson Silva, Wanderlei Silva, Chuck Liddell. I also managed to use a trick that I read in Mohammed Ali's auto-bio where he puts one hand on the head of the opponent (watch some of his fights, you'll see him do it) which apparently helps distract them (it works too). In MMA that'd be no good...leaving your arm out there for too long is gonna do nothing against someone with good BJJ apart from get you submitted, but considering our sparring sessions are hands only for the moment, it's all good. I've also been running to my sessions too (it's only a 1.5k run) but an excellent way to warm up and get the aerobic conditioning on the way. Need to concentrate on the Anaerobic too though. All in all, I'm loving the MMA stuff I'm doing and the guys I train with are all really sound people. Getting to be a tight group...

In other news, less than 4 weeks until UFC 85 and I can't wait. My very 1st live UFC event and it's gonna be the shiz! It still sucks that I won't get to see Chuck Liddell as that would have been way cool especially after reading his book but the UFC have made up for it with one of the biggest fight cards in the history of the UFC. Nicely done boys, nicely done. Bisping is fighting Jason "Dooms" Day who I have not heard of but from all the hype...is meant to be a bad mother fu*ker! Still a shame that Chris Leben has had to go to Jail though...would have been good to see Bisping and him get it on. I also think it would have been good for Bispings career with Leben being better known among UFC fans but the fight should be pretty good anyway. They also have Thiago Alves vs Matt Huges, Rashad Evans vs James Irvin and Paul Taylor vs Jess Liaudin. I'm diggin Paul Taylor, dudes from the West Midlands for a start which is where I'm from and he's got some skills too although he's in the under card so that fight won't get televised.

Anyway - bored of typing now...will add more when I can be bothered...