Thursday 29 May 2008

UFC 84 Review

This was a great card and some excellent fights. I can't even remember the name of the dude that impressed me the most (his name is a mouthful) but he switched from back control to an arm bar quick as lightening. A seriously excellent display of Jui Jitsu! Definitely a move to try out!

BJ Penn won his fight and it was an entire stand up war which was surprising. I figured Sherk with his ridiculous conditioning would have taken him down to the ground and tried to work something from there to tire BJ out (would have been a better strategy) but that didn't happen. His boxing form looks great but he wasn't able to hit BJ with them short arms. Oh the joys of a longer reach (it really does help!)

I was chuffed that Wanderlei Silva won his fight. I'm not a fan of Keith Jardine, the dude talks about the lack of respect he gets and I'm not saying he is not a good fighter, what I am saying is that he's like cress! Lots of good stuff about him but when you break it down - he's kinda boring.

The outcome of the Machida vs Ortiz fight was as I expected. Machida will have the belt before long!! That Triangle choke/arm bar attempt by Tito looked like the end of the fight but Machida got out of it some how. Serious amount of heart and skill from the dude!!