Thursday 8 November 2007

More gadgets! This time...HDTV (Part 1)

So I've been meaning to score myself one of these babies for a while but figured I'd wait a while until the price had come down a reasonable amount. This time around 5 years ago I managed to get a pretty dope 32" CRT (that's the big box type television for the less tech aware of you out there) for £300. I figured when HDTV's come down to around the same price that'll be a fair price to pay. So a work colleague recommended eBuyer and I gotta say, I'm well impressed with their prices and I've scored me one of these bad boys. If you read the reviews, they're all superb and with the constant mentions of eBuyers alleged "amazing service" plotted around all of these comments I decided to just take the plunge and place the order. This of course was not without a little more research, mainly due to the fact that all this talk of 720p, 1080i etc confused the shit out of me. Anyways - thanks to the oh so wondrous tool that I refer to as the "t'internet", I've managed to enlighten myself as to the wondrous joys in all the differences and if you (like I once was) are someone who has not been enlightened, allow some of these links to show you the path.

Hi Def TV Explained on Wikipedia
Quite in depth, the graphics made me realise what the numbers meant (it's actually referring to screen resolution) and all in all - a great source if you wanna know pretty much everything there is to know.

HDTV resolution explained
Found this on CNET. If you want the quick overview - this is the best place for it. the following quote even helped in purchasing my TV and saved me about £200 in the process!

"...Today, however, the premium for 1080p is still pretty steep, and unless you're
getting a very large set, say 50 inches or more, we don't recommend basing a
buying decision on whether or not the television has 1080p native resolution."
- David Katzmaier

1080i vs. 1080p HDTV: should you care?
Not for a while apparently - a slightly older article but from the looks of it and the way things are going...this still holds quite a bit of water.

All in all, unless your intention is to pay a fat wedge now so you won't have to later...then go for 1080p - but if for the next couple of years you're content to have a TV that looks pretty dope compared to that giant box you stare at that takes up space in your living room - 720p should be alright for you.