Tuesday 13 November 2007

UFC 78 : Validation

So being from England myself and knowing our history with falling at the proverbial "last hurdle" when it comes to sport I must say that I've been a little sceptical when it comes to Michael Bisping. Nothing to do with his skill level or even his attitude, I'm just convinced that most British athletes are cursed when it comes to representing this country, from the England football team (or "soccer" as the Americans call it) to the rugby team and of course not forgetting our Olympic athletes that for the most part are never quite up to par when it comes to collecting medals on behalf of Great Britain. And while I'll admit that I have been doubting if Bisping will walk out with the win due to this plague that has afflicted so many British athletes before him (albeit in different sports) I must say I suddenly feel very confident that Mikes following fight will be for a shot at the title! Why the sudden turnaround? Well I had a catch up on the UFC blogs written by both Bisping and Evans in the run up to the event and I gotta say on the basis of that, my coin is on Mike to win. Mike's final post referring to the fact that Evans has been talking total bollocks made me laugh my ass off! And it's true too. Mike made an extremely good point with regards to Evans talking about his intentions to 'bring the pain' as it were, only thing is, he did this with Ortiz and came out with a draw (on a side note I think it was very disrespectful of him to talk that shit about Tito!). The fact that Mike has not fought any 'popular' names in the UFC means nothing. This guy is pound for pound the best fighter in the UK if not Europe. Evans saying that Mikes belief in himself is what has gotten him this far is a joke at best (I'm quite sure skill drops in at some point you prat!)

So, here is my prediction. I think Bisping will win it with a stoppage in the 3rd round!

Call it blind hope, British pride or whatever else you wanna call it but as good as both fighters are, I think Mike is just that much better and either way, someone will be coming out with a loss on this one. I really don't think that it will go to a judges decision therefore having no possibility for a draw and Bisping will be the one with his hand raised at the end of the fight. I just hope the boo's from the American fans don't get to Bisping (seems some of the guys over there ain't got too much love for the dude)