Monday 31 March 2008

Tito Ortiz leaving the UFC

So apparently this is old news to some people but not to me!! Tito Ortiz will be leaving the UFC and has 1 more fight left which will take place at UFC 84 against Lyoto Machida! I've mentioned Machida a few times being as I saw him fight before he got to the UFC and the dude has serious skills. He also trains with Anderson Silva of all people so that's gotta help! I'm a fan of Tito but I think he's met his match here. The Light Heavyweight division is not what it was a few years ago and with guys such as Chuck Liddell, Thiago Silva and Rampage Jackson - I don't think it leaves much room for Tito to hold the title again. Anyway - it's all bad blood apparently which is a shame and considering that I'm a fan of both fighters I'm not quite sure who I'll be routing for. On one hand I think it would be cool for Machida to go all the way to getting a belt and I don't see him getting beat down any time soon. On the other hand...this is Tito's last fight (for the UFC anyway) so it would be very cool for him to go out on a plus but we'll see.

Either way - it's not like it'll be the end for the geezer - apparently he'll be running a new show called "Anytown - Beatdown" which I think is a cracking premise for a show. You get 2 rivals (who are regular shmoes) - train em for a bit and then let them have the off in a cage match. CLASS!

Check out more on that here.