Thursday 14 August 2008

Matt Hughes - The Book Review

So finished the Matt Hughes book. Not gonna spend too much time on a review being as there's already a good few hours I've spent reading this tripe that I know I can never get back. Seems I'm reading things in a particular order without even realising it. Chuck Liddells book is freaking awesome, Tito's book is very good and Matt Hughes book comes a few country miles behind theirs. He tells you about all these things that have happened in his life which is fine but rarely do you get to see the point or conclusion to any of these stories. In one section he's saying how he just didn't take to Tim Sylvia (there was no reason for it) and in another section goes on to explain where Tim confronts him about it in the nicest way possible and he acts like a total dick. In yet another section it would appear him and Tim are cool and in between all of this - no explanation as to why he didn't like him (although I'm guessing it's just because Matt is perfect and everyone else is beneath the great king) and no explanation as to what made him change his mind.

I think the bit that got me was where him and Jens Pulver are bitching about newbies training in the gym. No offence but no one knows anything until someone teaches them - therefore at one point Matt knew nothing about MMA until he was taught.

All in all, I get the impression that he thinks he's Stephen King or some other great writer. On TV (The Ultimate Fighter) he comes across as a bit of a prat and the book does nothing but confirm this. He reminds me of that guy in School - the big dude that no one actually liked and was a complete dick to everyone! Most people tend to grow out of that sort of behaviour - Matt Hughes has yet to.

There is something that I agree with in this book though - Every couple of chapters or so he keeps saying "There's a lot you can do in 5 minutes" and he ain't wrong. It only took me that long to take it back to the shop and get my refund!

Worth the read if you want to see what kind of guy he is...although I'd wait til you can get it at the library. No point wasting your hard earned coin to help add air to an already dangerously inflated ego.

Dissapointing - yes
Suprising - not really