Friday 24 October 2008

Human first, Black man second!

OK, so I gotta say there are some people who I just simply do not understand. I meet people like this occasionally, as to where they see your colour 1st and you 2nd. Don't get me wrong, I know a great deal about my ancestry and am proud of both sides of it. My great grand father was Scottish and my great grand mother was Jamaican. My parents were both born in Jamaica and as such I've done research on both sides of the family as well as looking at my ancestry on both sides of the family tree. Regardless of which, I was born here (England), raised here, have lived here all of my life and this is basically everything I know. As far as I am concernced, regardless of my Ancestry, I am for all intents and purposes, English. However every now and then I meet people who feel that the best way to communicate with me is to be on what they must feel is "my level" by constantly bringing up my skin colour and/or heritage.

I don't mind having a conversation with someone as I do "on occasion" with some friends about racial history, but there are points when things seem to just get out of hand in almost a David Brent type fashion. I have friends (not just of West Indian/African origin) who can relate to this type of scenario as to where something is mentioned - such as Marijuana, Hip Hop, Reggae etc and automatically, because of the colour of my skin, I'm meant to know all there is about that subject. Dumb ass comments such as "Don't mess with him, he's bound to know some 'Yardies'", or "Smile, we can't see you" aren't funny and they do nothing but offend the recipient of these so called "Jokes".

All I am saying is this. Yes, I am of West Indian origin, my skin colour is different compared to that of the majority of people in this country. Regardless of which, I laugh, bleed, cry, feel emotion exactly the same way as any other human being on the planet. I am, before all other things, a human being.

Communicate with me in the same way that I communicate with you, as a human being.

No comments: