Thursday 25 October 2007

Entertaining a 10 year old (Part 3)

So far this entire thing is working out alright. No moans, groans or complaints from short stuff. Although when asking her if we couldn't go bowling what it is she'd like to do..."we can talk about it tomorrow, I'm reading..." which had swiftly brought me to the realisation that she's absolutely right. Why have a master plan? Everything does not require meticulous planning for us to have a good time. And as I watch her stare out of the window at the world whizzing by I'm reminded of something that a friend once said to me long ago...

"Everything in life is simple, people make things complicated"

I'm now looking at this entire "mission" with a new found positive outlook and weirdly enough...it's all down to the simplistic rationale of a 10 year old. So no more worrying or attacks of anxiety...just play it by ear and have fun while doing it.

On a related note, one of the great things about chilling with the little one is this. With the strikes on the trains etc seemingly catching not only me but most of the travelling public by surprise, the amount of people getting on a dual carriage train at Leicester was a joke at best. However, having the kid with me has it's perks. Soon as I told her to go before me it was as if a path magically appeared in front of us. Let's face it...who's such an arse they'd push in front of a 10 year old girl? We even managed to get a seat while the majority of passengers were standing...mainly thanks to her diving on the 1st pair of seats she could find and lying across them...bless!